Saturday, July 14, 2012

2000 pt Blood Angels/Flesh Tearers: 2 Lists for 6th Edition


So further reading of the rules, and more importantly the mission rules, has lead me to develop another list. Unfortuantely, it is one with less jump packs, but this should allow me to play the mission and fit well within the new and improved reserve rules. I will be playing this list as Blood Angels, but I think it would also be a suitable Flesh Tearer list.

HQ- Chapter Master Gabriel Seth- 160
HQ- Astorath the Grim- 220
Elites- Brother Corbulo- 105
Troops- Assault Squad (10)- 250: Power Axe & Inferno Pistol, 2 x Plasma Pistol, No Jump Packs
Transport- Land Raider Redeemer- 216: Multi-Melta, Searchlight
Troops- Assault Squad (10)- 240: Power Sword & Inferno Pistol, 2 x Melta-guns
Troops- Assault Squad (5)- 135: Power Fist, Melta-gun
Troops- Death Company (5)- 225: Jump Packs, Power Fist, Power Sword, Hand Flamer
Fast Attack- Vanguard Veterans (5)- 230: Power Fist, 2 x Power Swords, Gunslinger 2 x Hand Flamers, Melta Bomb
Heavy Support- Stormraven Gunship- 216: Twin Linked Multi-Melta, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Locator Beacon, Searchlight

Pts: 1997 Scoring Units: 3-5 Scouring Units: 1 Big Gun Units: 1

HQ- Chapter Master Gabriel Seth- 160
HQ- Astorath the Grim- 220
Elites- Brother Corbulo- 105
Elites- Terminator Assault Squad (6)- 260: 6 x Thunder Hammer and Storm Sheilds
Troops- Assault Squad (10)- 235: Power Axe & Inferno Pistol, 1 x Plasma Pistol, No Jump Packs
Transport- Land Raider Redeemer- 216: Multi-Melta, Searchlight
Troops- Assault Squad (10)- 240: Power Sword & Inferno Pistol, 2 x Melta-guns
Troops- Assault Squad (5)- 135: Power Fist, Melta-gun
Troops- Death Company (5)- 225: Jump Packs, Power Fist, Power Sword, Hand Flamer
Heavy Support- Stormraven Gunship- 201: Twin Linked Multi-Melta, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Searchlight

Pts: 1997 Scoring Units: 3-5 Scouring Units: 0 Big Gun Units: 1


SO The 1/2 reserve rules was really annoying me and my Descent of Angels play style. Furthermore, the confusion on the Axe Mortalis and Glaive Encarmines gave me pause. They really already need to update the Blood Angels FAQ. I decided to sit down and really come up with something new and this is what I came up with.

So I ditched Dante first of all and took Seth. I had always planned on making a conversion of him, now I just have to do it sooner. Not sure if I am just going to make him some heroic champion or the 7th Company Captain. Any way, Seth, the 10 man squad without Jump Packs, and Corbulo all hitch a ride the Land Raider Redeemer. This is nice as it is an Assault Vehicle, 4 Hull Points and has a twin linked Assault Cannon which can just strip away Hull Points. Went with Plasma Pistols as it gives me some good AP shooting while maintaining attacks, they have a good chance of peeling away hull points, and I didn't want to rip arms off models ;)

Seth is great now, as he has an S8 rending weapon that strikes at initiative 5, and is good in challenges if he is forced to take one with his Ferocious Instincts rule. And at 160 points, he is well worth his cost. Corbulo is a nice boon as well, giving furious charge and FNP to the whole unit.

Astorath and his Death Company ride in the Stormraven, which is Scoring in Big Guns Never Tire missions (provided it isn't zooming). Just a great assault unit, and an assault vehicle. Plus as a flyer, I have great flyer defense made even better by the fact it has twin linked assault cannons. As we all know, Astorath really brings some power to the army, making them all Fearless Furious Charging on a 4+. Death Company are the new Super Troops- Furious Charge, Rage, FNP, Fearless, Hammer if Jump Pack Charging. Just generally AWESOME. If only they could score :(

15 Normal Assault Marines to just jump around, pop melta shots and just generally wreck my opponents day and score. Especially nice if around Corbulo at all. And possibly made all the better by Astorath all the time.

The Vanguard are scoring in Scouring Missions which is nice. The Locator Beacon on the Raven makes their Heroic Intervention all the more reliable, and I can use Corbulo's Far Seeing Eye to keep them from coming in before the Raven. Just a general wreck your day kinda unit as always.

For the second list I traded out the Vanguard for a unit of Hammernators. With 6 they can still fit in the Redeemer, soak tons of fire, and statistically beat out another unit of hammernators if/when I come across them. I had to shed 1 plasma pistol and the locator beacon, but I didn't need the locator anymore so much and I think another terminator is well worth the loss of a plasma pistol. These guys will just run as often as possible to slug across the board, or as I said, take the redeemer from Seth and his guys.

The one thing that really annoys me is the back of 1 pt upgrades. In 5th, I felt fine not taking search lights. In 6th, you need them. There should be a few more 1 pt upgrades back in each book. Something like a purity seal or auspex. Just something to make it so I can fill in the gaps left by search lights.

Well there you go. I have a little shopping to do to make this list (isn't that just what GW wants with new editions/codices anyways). Wish I could fit in more toys, like Sanguinary Guard. 3000 Point games would probably see a second detachment with Dante and Sanguinary Guard mixed in, but that is a thought for another day.